Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Your Curvy Sisters



Because I am human, I have a Tumblr. Actually I have two, but the other is dedicated to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and we don't talk about that here. Anyhow, on my Tumblr I follow lots of people, friends, celebrities, scientists, journalists, and a Tumblr account called Your Curvy Sisters. If you want to check it out, you can HERE. This group addresses the everyday problems that the larger of us deal with day to day whether it's just an airing of grievances or asking for specific answers. They're not always progressive enough for my tastes, but they hit the nail on the head most times. The picture above, while dealing with the shallower side of the issue, is one of those times.

In case you can't read it...

Anonymous asked, "For me, Slim girls don't understand how lucky they have it. They are able to wear clothes that fit them and can wear clothes for women who are bigger and still pull it off. They will never understand what it's like to squeeze their figure into the biggest size of the main range before having to shop in the plus rail to get something that fits.
To which Your Curvy Sisters replied...

I think this is a case of the grass is greener on the other side. Yeah, plus size shopping can get annoying because a lot of the clothes are expensive and they aren't readily available at any store. But there's the other side of the story and that's when slim girls don't have the curves they would like to fill out their clothes. Instead of focusing on who has it better, we should all learn to be happy and appreciate our own lives in our own bodies. :D   -Olive


This kind of thin hate is pretty popular among the general fat lady community and it's distressing. I understand the reason because I am too am fat and grew up with skinny girls all around me. I understand the jealousy and the resentment that lingers on from the years of teasing. I understand the urge to pick on them and call them twigs and tell them to eat a sandwich. I get it.That said it's just as bad to say those things to a skinny girl as it is to call a fat girl a beached whale. You don't know the person you're picking on. You don't know the reason for their body size. You don't know the damage you could be doing with your hurtful words. 

Maybe your words bounce of that person, skinny or fat, with no effect, because they are indeed happy with who they are and appreciate their body but do you really want to risk it? Skinny girls are not immune to body image issues. Do not fall to the level of the children who picked on you then or the assholes who pick on you now. Rise above it. Realize how beautiful you are in your own skin. That realization is really what makes someone beautiful. Confidence is so much better than all the makeup and clothes a person can wear. 

I know it isn't always easy and backsliding is common. It isn't a goal you can reach. Just take each day as it comes and try to remember you are precious. I know because I said so. 

Love, Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment