Pages

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Decoupagers Anonymous


My name is Lara and I'm a Decoupager.

Before last month, I had never, to my knowledge, decoupaged before. I don't know what I have been waiting for. I knew I always wanted to, but I just never had the balls and opportunity to actually do it. My "This New House" project gave me the perfect excuse x 2!

My first chance came when my mother purchased a pair of fairly plain but size and color appropriate night stands for one of the bedrooms. You saw them in the previous This New House post about headboards in their final state. 

Their original state in their amazon photo.


I unfortunately did not use any common sense and take a picture of the roll of contact paper I used for this project. I got it from a bin of contact paper at a local Goodwill. Total find. You can see it fairly well in the next picture.


Starting this project, I realized that I had a problem. I fell in love with decoupage. It took two fairly boring tables and totally classed them up. Decoupage can be pretty neat, pretty tacky, or just plain pretty. I think I did a good job of keeping it  simple and not going the crazy scattered route. Maybe I can go that way another time when I sack up enough to commit. 



I don't think I really need to explain the decoupage process. There are about a thousand videos and instruction blogs for that. 


Well after I finished those little tables, I soon got another opportunity to do it again. I found this banged up coffee table at a Goodwill for $12.50. It was tagged as $25 but it was half off that day! SUPER! 


It just managed to fit in the back of the car, but only just. I got it back, scrubbed it down, oiled and shined up up, and decided it was perfect for decoupage. I got a roll of wallpaper for cheap down at Menard's and went to it! This project was a bit more difficult owing to the shear size of the surface. Air bubbles abounding. I managed though and even put on a shiny sealant coat and new knob for the fake drawer. (Why won't this section stop being centered? Weird.)



I think it turned out perfectly even though it had air bubbles. I think That's enough decoupage for me for a while. It's a pretty involved process. Maybe on a smaller scale? I don't know. 

Next on This New House: Seat cushion recovering!


2 comments:

  1. They look great! Cut blog by the way! :)

    -Sabrina
    thelittleowlshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW awesome! I finally did the testing of the running the tissue paper through the printer to make a Christmas ornament with Mod Podge. I was scared I would have to get a new printer, but it worked and I have an awesome glass bell to post about this week. I LOVE the table decoupaging you did. Something new and interesting to do with contact paper though. Your furniture turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete