Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Soul's Melody

I have had favorite bands and favorite songs before. I grew up adoring the Beatles and I still do. I love musicals and Ke$ha. I love LMFAO and Frank Sinatra and Cake. I have an unending love of all things music, but I don't think I really understood what it meant to really connect with a band before the movie adaptation of Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World came out and I was introduced to Metric. I heard the wail and reverberating thump of "Black Sheep" and I was sold. There was something haunting in that song that I couldn't put my finger on, but it spoke to me on a level that I had never felt before. I wanted more. I even PAID for all of their available albums, the utmost in respect from me. 

That year I went on a road trip mostly by myself 5,000 miles around the USA and listened almost exclusively to Metric. It never got old. I learned the words. I wailed right along. New bands and songs and sounds came and I listened and enjoyed them, but Metric was always right there for me to go back to. Metric had a song in a Twilight movie. I made peace with it and moved on. Finally their latest album, Synthetica, came out and they announced they were going on tour. 

I don't normally like going to see live shows. Most of the bands take forever to get on stage. There are uninteresting opening acts. There isn't any seating. I don't really like large crowds. I've had terrible experiences with dehydration and sun stroke at past events. That aside it took me about .002 seconds to buy my tickets to the Metric show at The Pageant in St. Louis. At the time I bought the ticket I thought I would be living there by then and it would be a nice way to break the city in. I turned out to be overly optimistic but that doesn't matter.

Tonight, I saw what I am proud to say is my all-time favorite band in concert and it was AMAZING. Not only did I finally get to wear my new outfit put together specifically for this ocassion, but I got to go with two of my besties who I will soon be living with in St. Louis.

Anny and I showing off tonight's ensemble.

Working it for the camera!

Matt and Anny and I finally at the show. Super excited and making funny faces?

The crowd wound up being more of a jeans crowd, but I did not care one hoot. 

Like I said before I don't think I really understood what it felt like to really have a favorite band before. But let me share with you one of their songs. I know it's one of their more popular ones, but the lyrics to me are really outstanding and have a great message. 




That song, other than being totally rocking, reminds us that while we're still sucking down breath our lives are ours to live and no one else's, so do what you damn well please. Isn't that the best?  All in all, I really enjoyed the show. The music was loud and the lights were bright and Emily was a little more of a hippy than I expected but I did not care in the least. If she's liking the good vibes she gets from St. Louis then yay! Come back again soon! 

So this leaves me with a question. What is your favorite band/song and why? Have you had the chance to see them live and did they live up to your expectations?

Have a great Tuesday!

Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment